Christmas Dangers


Christmas is a fun time but let’s also make it a safe time for our pets!!

🍫 CHOCOLATE contains theobromine which is poisonous to pets.
💡 FAIRY LIGHTS can cause electric shock if chewed or pets can become tangled.
🍾 ALCOHOL is significantly more toxic to pets than to humans and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma and death.
🌺 POINSETTIA and IVY are both mildly toxic. They can cause vomiting, drooling, diarrhoea and other symptoms.
🥤ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS contains Xylitol. If ingested it can lead to potentially fatal hypoglycaemia, acute liver disease and blood clotting if ingested by a pet.
⭐️ TINSEL, if eaten it can cause blockages or even work its way through the gut into the intestine, which can be extremely serious.
🥧 MINCE PIES and CHRISTMAS PUDDING as grapes, raisins, currents and sultanas and food containing them are toxic to pets.
🔮 SNOW GLOBES contain anti-freeze which is highly toxic to pets.
🎄 CHRISTMAS TREES as the oils produced by some real Christmas trees are mildly toxic and if consumed, cause minor irritation to a pet’s mouth and stomach. Pine needles can cause stomach upsets, cuts or perforation of the intestines.
🧂 SALT DOUGH ORNAMENTS can cause potentially fatal salt toxicosis if eaten. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea and seizures.
🧅 ONIONS can cause stomach irritation and lead to red blood cell damage and anaemia.
💐 LILIES can cause convulsions and can be fatal to cats.
🪩 GLASS BAUBLES can smash into shards causing cuts and irritation. If eaten can cause blockages or perforations.
🫘 MACADAMIA NUTS can cause weakness, tremors, vomiting and hyperthermia within 12 hours of ingestion.
🪫BATTERIES can cause chemical burns or heavy metal poisoning.
🧀 BLUE CHEESE (most) contain Roquefortine C, which dogs are sensitive to.
🎋 BERRIES and AMARYLLIS PLANTS contain phenanthridine alkaloids which are toxic to both dogs and cats.
🍗 COOKED BONES are brittle and splinter easily which can pierce your dog’s digestive tract or cause obstructions.
🎉 POTPOURRI can cause serious gastrointestinal problems which lasts several days even after the material has passed through.
🔫 TOYS should be keep out of the reach of pets as some pets may chew or swallow parts of them.


Quarry House Vets